After 12 weeks, my Newell Rubbermaid internship is coming to an end, and I can honestly say that this experience has been one-of-a-kind and will most certainly serve as the basis to my entire career.
This week, summer interns have been presenting final presentations to fellow interns, mentors, managers, and co-workers. The topics varied from memorable experiences, to specific projects, to key takeaways. But the overall theme was the same – and that is that Newell Rubbermaid’s summer internship program is the best of the best.
Every intern learned. Every intern networked. And every intern is leaving this experience ready to take on professors, peers, or professionals and show off what he or she has learned this summer.
Personally, I cannot wait to apply what I have learned and apply it in the classroom or in real life situations. I know how important it is for brands to exist online as well as the benefits of having a distinct brand personality. Because of the e-commerce research I did, I now notice a website’s overall online shopping experience, from the minute I enter a site to the final click when I purchase my product. Whenever I search the web or am logged in to a social media platform, I am thinking about what our brands could do and how they could engage with consumers.
Just 12 weeks. That’s all it took. And now the Newell Rubbermaid interns are ready to tackle anything that comes their way.
Here is some advice from our interns across North America:
- Get to know your intern class! I’ve built great friendships and learned so much from my peers. –Cara, Human Resources Intern
- Take initiative. It’s your internship experience...make the most of it! Whether it’s in the office, on a store walk, or exploring a new city – take advantage of all opportunities to experience new things with great people –Stephanie, Product Marketing Intern
- Ask questions! Never be afraid to ask your manager, mentor or team members questions. Being an intern means that you’re at the company to LEARN! -Sydney, Channel Marketing Intern
- Seek mentors. Try and meet as many people as you can and take advantage of their knowledge, networks and advice. –Alex, Brand Management Intern
- Be prepared and flexible. Sometimes it takes a lot of failures to make a success, but that’s part of learning and the process. You can learn and grow just as much (and sometimes more) through the things that go wrong. –Randall, R&D Intern
- Network! Set up shadow days with professionals in different functions and positions. It’s great to understand the big picture and learn how your projects as an intern really do make a difference. –Kate, Brand Management Intern
- Leave your mark! Do your job well and go above what’s expected of you on every project. –Bridget, SAP Intern
- Have fun! I’ve had a great experience getting to know my peers and co-workers. We’ve done some great things over the summer like White Water Rafting and going a Charlotte Knights game! -Elizabeth, Brand Management Intern
- Be open to feedback. It will only help you become a better professional in the long-run. –Sydney, Internal Audit Intern
- Experience the Culture. Your internship is the best way to learn more about a company and see if it’s the right fit for you. –Ali, Brand Management Intern